be home for the next three months!! Keeping children busy and engaged during
this time is always a big challenge for parents. As a parent of four children,
there were many times when my children would argue and fight and I thought I
would pull my hair out!! When
children get into arguments, sometimes they do things without thinking such as
lashing out, name calling, or physical aggression.
It is very normal for us to want to jump in and solve our children’s
problems for them. After all they are the most precious possession we have! But
it won’t help them learn how to cope when we aren’t around. So here are some
useful tips to help teach your child (ren) to problem solves:
- First decide what the problem is. Teach them to summarize the problem in just a
- Brainstorm for several solutions to the problem. Ask
the child what ideas he/she has to solve the problem
- Evaluate the possible solutions. List the positive and negative effects of each
- Decide on the best solution. Consider the pros and cons of each possibility and
make a decision for the best one.
- Act on the solution by developing a plan to make the solution work. Few
problems have just one solution, but by getting your children to think
through what the consequences may be from their decision,
will help them to make conscientious decisions.
- If necessary apologize to those they have hurt and teach them to forgive those
who hurt them.